Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Minnesota vs Massachusetts...

Oh how I love Massachusetts. I am a transplant Massachusetts resident, but my love for Minnesota runs deep. I mean who can not love county fairs, food-on-a stick, cheese curds, lefsa, oli and lena jokes, the Great Minnesota Get together, tubing adventures down the mighty Zumbro River. These are all things that remind me of home that I can not get in Massachusetts.
Yes, I might be able to find a river to float down while sitting on an inner tube, but it is not the same. You just don't see people doing that out here.

Yes, there are county fairs or sort of. I mean they have them, but they cost a fair amount to go to and they aren't the same.

Minnesota knows how to do a couple things right 1. county fairs and street festivals and 2. food on a stick. I think that the later is a direct result of the first one.

Since moving to and becoming a resident of Massachusetts for 9 years now, I think I have fallen in love and settled on the direct fact that I will probably never move back to Minnesota. Not that I have anything against it. I mean things are some what cheaper and life is pretty nice back there, but I don't miss the extremely cold winters followed by Hot and sticky summers. So when Matt and I were discussing marriage and wedding and all that great stuff I knew I wanted to have a wedding in Massachusetts. I mean this is where we live and where we have a life. It also helps that Kasson really only has one hotel and not many places to hold a wedding reception. Though the fair grounds do come cheap and I know the fair board President (aka Mom) so I am pretty sure I could have easily had the reception there. It just didn't seem us and I wanted a wedding that was us. So here we are now planning a wedding in Massachusetts and I am left to miss some great Minnesota wedding traditions and pondering if and how we do put them in our wedding. Here is a list of things.

1. Dollar Dance - yes I had to explain this to Matt, the DJ, and many people along the way. Matt says 'No' but I am pretty sure he will be saying 'Yes, Fine, Do it' come October.

2. Polka Music - what wedding in Minnesota doesn't have polka music. No worries our DJ already has some polka in his list so we will be 'Rolling out the Barrel'.

3. Eating and then Dancing. I am still trying to figure out how to make this work but I have been to many weddings in Massachusetts where the wedding party is introduced and then immediately is the first dance. Then people sit and each salad for 20 min while other dances go on and then by the time you get your main course you are starving and pretty much inhale your food. I mean you don't need 20 mins to eat a salad. In Minnesota things are done right. You eat then you dance... so I might try to incorporate that thought out here. I have met a little resistance from the reception site and dj. Yes I know they do weddings for a living but this is my wedding and I would like my guests not to be starving.

4. Free Keg Beer... well this one I can't do anything about. The wedding reception coordinator and Matt both looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked if we could purchase a keg or 2. Who knew you couldn't do that?

Those are just a few things I have been thinking about lately. I want a Minnesota wedding in Massachusetts. If only that was possible. My Mom is going to put Minnesota into the wedding somehow. I hope that doesn't mean it is going to snow on our wedding.

1 comment: