Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Really Pre Cana Class?

Ok, this is going to be a little bit of a rant so take this as your for warning before you continue to read. Matt and I decided that we would get married in the Catholic Church. We talked about it long before we ever got engaged. Matt really wanted to get married in the church and I agreed even though I would have been happy to run off to Vegas. Matt and I were both raised Catholic, had never been married, and knew all about the Catholic Pre-Cana class before we decided to get married in the church so I take it I shouldn't be surprised or upset too much, but I still am. First off our wedding is in October and it is March and we are already planning on taking the class. We have spoken with the priest and I got all the class registration information ready and even sent it in. I researched all our class options prior to signing up and the class that fit perfectly into our schedules and budgets was being offered that the Middleboro Church where we were getting married so I signed us up. Everything was peachy until last week when I got a call from the church stating the program has changed and now the Archdiocese of Boston has this new and improved pre-cana class. I was like ok so what is the problem. The lady went on to tell me the hours of the class had changed from 10 hours to 17 hours and that the price had increased from $50 to $200. Yep that is right you read that correctly $200.

So I a gasped and bit my tongue as the lady continued to remind me that I took CCD as a kid and that she was sure my parents paid for that and that we would be taking this class and getting a catered breakfast and lunch. I was thinking that better be a really good breakfast and lunch and I better not see Dunkin Donuts. She was than like there are scholarships available if the price is too much and you need to call this woman to register.I said I would have to speak with Matt and get in touch with the lady and I would let them know what to do with my previously sent $50 check.

And now here we are 5 days later, I have called and left 3 messages with this woman from the Boston Archdiocese asking her to call me back. I haven't heard from her and just to note her voicemail message is old and refers to information for January. I have researched other pre-cana classes but since this is a diocese wide class we are going to have to pay $200 no matter what and not many classes are offered South of Boston and I refuse to drive more than 30 minutes to take this class and I also refuse to take the class during the week. So I took my research even further. I spoke with a person who took the class recently on Cape and she directed me to the Fall River Diocese. I called the Fall River Diocese and instantly spoke with a woman who directed me to a website and gave me all the information I needed about their classes. Their pre-cana classes are less hours and cost $150. Hmmmm it would save us $50. So I looked at their class schedule and we could take a class in Mansfield. Mansfield is just as far as Middleboro from our place and we could save money. So I call the church speak with this lady about getting in contact with the woman from the Boston diocese (I want a scholarship to take this class) and she agreed with me that she is hard to get in touch with and that it would be ok if we took a marriage prep class somewhere else.

So here I am.. pondering what to do. Do we take the marriage prep class in Middleboro like we planned and fork over the extra $150 for the class or do we take the class in Mansfield and pay $150 for the class?

Also I still am wondering why I really need to take this class. What does this class offer? When we spoke with the priest (Father Jay) he told us we would have to meet with him twice after the classs to go over some things. One of those things he wanted to go over with us is the sacrament of Marriage.

So here is my thought.. Matt and I went to CCD classes when we were kids. They teach you about many things and one of those things are the sacraments. I can list them all to this day and when we were getting ready to do a sacrament such as first communion we went over all the information about the sacrament in CCD class. So if marriage prep is required and is meant for us to learn about the sacrament of marriage and such than why and I mean WHY do I have to pay to take this class on Marriage prep and still learn about the sacrament from Father Jay.

Anyways.. that is my rant... I know both Matt and I are going into this class already so negative, but right now I want to say let's throw it all to the wind and just elope... No worries we won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment